Keep it safe and legal

Make sure your event Measures up!
Do not let anything stand in the way of your event being a huge success. Take a bit of time to have a look through some of these practical things to consider.
Health and safety and risk assessment

Follow the professional advice of equipment manufacturers and staff supervising any facilities. Events need to be adequately risk-assessed to find, reduce and control the risk to all those taking part and members of the public who may be attending.

HistiocytosisUK cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury suffered by yourself or anyone else as a result of taking part in a fundraising event organised in aid of Histiocytosis UK.

Some useful information on organising your own event can be found at the Institute of Fundraising.

For guidance on how to run an event safely go to the Health and Safety Executive at

Food hygiene
This is vitally important. Please take great care when handling food and work to basic rules for safe preparation, storage, display and cooking. The Food Standards Agency. Produces a number of booklets.

1. Food Standards Agency - I'm a volunteer that sells food at ...... I'm a volunteer that sells food at charity events. Do I need a food hygiene certificate? No. Food hygiene certificates are not a legal requirement.

Data protection
Make sure any electronic or paper record you keep about people involved in a fundraising event complies with the Data Protection Act. As a rule of thumb, don't keep information about people any longer than you have to, and don't share information or data about someone without their permission. More information can be found at the Information Commissioner's Office.

By organising your own fundraising event in aid of Histiocytosis UK, you are responsible for taking adequate steps to make sure that the event poses no risk to others. Check that any buildings or equipment that you hire are covered. Insurance is often included in the hire fee but not always.

You may need to consider arranging public liability cover for some events, which will protect you against claims made by third parties for injury or property damage as a result of negligence. In most cases, for public and/or hazardous events, you may need public liability cover in place. For private events this may not be necessary.
Alcohol and public entertainment license.

If your event involves the sale of alcohol and/or live or recorded music, dancing, showing of a film or performance of a play, an indoor sporting event (including a boxing or wrestling match), or any entertainment of a similar nature, you may need a licence. Speak with your local authority, the police and other relevant parties as necessary.

Public collections take place in a public space. Public collections are governed by strict legal requirements and must be licensed by the Local Authority. Some popular premises for public collections, such as supermarkets, train stations, etc. may require you to arrange public liability insurance. It is worth checking with your location contact beforehand.

Private collections take place on private premises and do not need the permission of the local authority. If you are organising a private collection you only need the permission of the owner of the premises.

Raffles, lotteries and prize draws
There are strict legal requirements about the organisation of raffles, lotteries and prize draws. More information about these rules can be found at the Gambling Commission.

Help ensure that we can continue to bring you this vital informational material, make a donation today

Please use the form below to contact Histio UK

When we are out of the office and over holiday periods we have limited access to email and telephone. We will respond to your enquiry as soon as it is possible or upon our return. Thank You.

Telephone: 01733 309619 - Please note this is not a 24 hour number - 9am to 5.30pm

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message

Please answer the question